I took on a challenge to start of large canvas measuring 24″ x 30″. Not as easy as gluing, painting and collaging things on it like my other smaller works. There are bigger spaces and I do the blank stare. You know the look I”m talking about? What the hell am I going to put in that big space? Well, let me show you how it started and where I am with it now.
I gessoed the canvas then put on molding paste to get some texture on the surface.
I put a wash of quinacridone nickel azo gold paint then added Cobalt Teal in certain areas using Golden Fluid Acrylics.
So far so good, right? Then I added some more texture with molding paste, stencils, doilies.
Then I added “Wood Icing” texture.
Here’s what the canvas looked like after the texture pastes.
Ok.. then I added two fleur di lis with molding paste, stained the wood icing and then I went on to painting the checkerboard and the fleur de lis… Some parts I’m loving.. some.. eh.. not so much..
I am not liking the checkerboard… too overpowering.. so I”m going over it with a blue crackle paste. I know, I know.. don’t worry.. it’ll be ok.
While the crackle paste was still wet, I ran a metal comb around in a cirle to give a spiral effect. Cool.
Here’s what the crackle paste looked like after it dried. Love it.
Next up was to add some fabric to the canvas. I used a caulking I bought at a dollar store a few years ago. Works great.. strong bond. I don’t stay with necessarily one product for adhesives. I use gel medium, caulking and one of my favorites, “Weldbond“.
Let me stop here and tell you how much I changed on this canvas. I got so engrossed into it that I didn’t take some pictures. BUT… after I covered the checkerboard, I painted over the doily texture, then I put gold leaf on it.. then I put fabric over that. Next, I painted over the wood icing, then I put fabric upholstery over the bottom half of that. I just was not liking where everything was falling. I have a larger space towards the bottom that I’m not sure how that will flow.
So, here is the rest of the pix I took and then the last one is where is stands now.
Below, you can see I added more fabric and one of my coffee filter art pieces, and modeling cream by Viva Decor.
I pushed white acrylic paint into the crackle paste section then wiped it off. The white sank into the cracks. You can see the fabric to the bottom left and the roses on top. Also in that area, I added an old paper doily piece that was ripped.
I also added cheese cloth to the large space on the bottom right and gold leaf.
See..this is what I mean.. bigger is not better, it’s a bit intimidating. But, I am convinced that I will finish this and once I do, I’ll feel confident to tackle another one.
See what I mean about all the open space…. dun dun dun…. (insert scream here).
My plan is to get this done while I am on vacation from work. I still have so much to do to it…collage papers, polymer clay…. I can’t wait to find out what I’ll do next. I’ll blog my final pictures.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE !!!
Thanks for subscribing and stopping by.
Judy ♥ ♥